07 December 2010

15 Years Ago Today...

15 years ago today, my sweet mother passed away when I was only 13 yrs old. I was in the 8th grade. My brother was only 9 yrs old and in the 3rd grade.



In Hawaii when I was in 2nd grade with my mom and dad. 


December 7th is usually remembered for Pearl Harbor and what Japan did to Hawaii.

For me it's a day of remember what little memories I have left in my mind of my mother. Losing a parent in 1995 was UNHEARD of. Unless it was some sort of freak accident or car accident. Cancer in an immediate parent just didn't happen back then. Cancer was such a foreign word to me, or any child my age.

My 8th grade team had a team meeting when my mom passed. (like a mini assembly explaining to my classmates that my mother had died) How many of you have had gatherings or assemblies when you were a child explaining such notions of a parent dying possibly a friend of yours parent? It was just unheard of. Didn't happen. Till mine went.

I had a happy child hood. My mother was the epitome was a perfect woman. She married her high school sweetheart (my dad) She waited five years to have her first child. She owned her own business. She was a girl scout troop leader. She was tall, thin, beautiful and never swore or drank or even really got mad about anything. She loved roses. But most of of all, she loved her kids. My brother and I always came first. We were spoiled (not in a bad way) My mom was quite the garage sale shopper and could find amazing toys for sale!!!

She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1993. I remember the day she told me. I cried my eyes out. I thought right then and there she was going to die. Call it child instinct. Of course she put on her brave face, and told me as any mother would tell their child that "everything was going to be fine." She had a breast removed. It wasn't to be saved at the stage it was at.

1994 My mother has Kidney Cancer and has a kidney removed. In remission for one cancer and hit with another. Her kidney came out and thus my mother's health deteriorated quickly. She died in my childhood home in our living room. It's a memory that stays with me forever. I don't think any child should have to remember seeing their parent get zipped up in a body bag or watch the Funeral people take her away in their hurst.

Cancer is bad. So young beautiful readers if you read this, TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY. Unless you don't want kids and think you live in the bubble that nothing bad can happen to you, then rock on your bad ways. But bad things do happen to good people. Bill Joel sings it in his song, Only the good die young. Ain't that the truth. She was 39. I'm 28!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't even imagine dying that young!
Do your part and be careful. WEAR SUNSCREEN you foolish sun worshipers. DON'T SMOKE. DONT do DRUGS.

I leave you with my favorite Dave Matthews Band. Celebrate we will for life is short but sweet for certain. 


Cherish every moment you have with your parents. You'll never get those days back. No one lives forever. Be good to them. They brought you into this world, no one should have to see them go as young as I did. 

Here are a few pictures of my mom.
High school senior dance my dad and mom!! Check out my dad's checkered pants! I love this photo it's so faded I'm crazy bout it's vintage appeal!

Early 1990s for sure. haha My mom flipped my bangs out like she had curled hers.

My mom's work attire for owning her own Secretarial Business.

Her Senior Year of HS...not sure what year..1970 something...



Photobucket
Photobucket

25 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    you have a very cool looking blog, and I just wanted to leave you a comment. So anyway, I just wanted to see if you would visit my blog. And if you follow me, I will follow you... :)

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful post. I'm so sorry you lost your Mom at such a young age. I truly hope and pray for a cure soon.

    I lost my Dad 10 years ago to kidney disease and losing a parent is just not supposed to happen.

    Sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! Your mom still watches over you! What an amazing tribute this is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking about you! Your mom was a beautiful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to send my condolences about your mom. That's so awful! Although, I did get a kick out of the 70s attire that you parents wore at their high school senior dance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! You look a lot like your mom. I'm sure you hear that a lot. Hope you got through the day ok. I can't imagine what you've been through all these years! You are one tough lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, your mom was insanely beautiful. I know you've heard enough "I'm so sorry's" to last you a life time so I won't go that route, but instead tell you how amazing of a person you are and I know your mom is thinking "wow, that's mine".
    I can't say that I understand how you feel because I don't, I don't know the cruel feeling of losing a parent but I know the feeling of losing a loved one and I know the feeling of not being able to breathe because you'll never get that person back - so I send you tons and tons of love and courage.
    Love, Sara Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mum was a pretty lady!!I knew how it was liked having someone passed away.I had those experience when my grand dad gone because of cancer too.My grand dad suffered a lots before he passed..It was hard.But I knew you're a tough girl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look a lot like your mom! This is such a sweet post. I'm so sorry you had to deal with losing her, especially at such a young age. I can't imagine. You are very strong!

    You've got one special angel looking over you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mom sounds like she was a lovely woman. I had chills reading ur post. I remember vividly when Papa passed of cancer at home, I cannot imagine ur pain and heartache with ur own parent and at such a young age. I bet she is incredibly proud of you. Beautiful post indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mom was one gorgeous lady!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know how this feels all too well. I'm sorry about your day yesterday..I know when "that day" comes around for me it is very emotional. We have such similar stories. My mom passed away in our house in our living room as well (where she had wanted it) and my school also had a "team meeting" when my mom passed away. I felt like when I came back to school everyone was scared to talk to me or something (they were nice but you know..) I truly believe we have the best angels out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. bless your heart... just know she is looking down on you and is so proud of all your accomplishments. i can't imagine what that must feel like but you are SO very strong and look at what an incredible woman she raised ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mom was beautiful and sounds like a wonderful mother. I'm so sorry you had to lose her so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like your mom was a wonderful woman. I'm so sorry for your loss. This was a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. your momma was a beautiful lady. i am so sorry for your loss. this was a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like you mom was an amazing lady. This post was so touching -- thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful post for a beautiful mom, so sorry she left you so young I couldn't imagine what that was like and your right loosing someone that young was totally unheard of.

    Loved reading it and hope you had a good day yesterday remembering all the great things about your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My mom died when I was 11. It's such a hard thing for a child to deal with! My thoughts are with you! She was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great way to remember your mom! She sounds like she was an amazing person!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW... this blog post is something I would have written... our stories are very alike. I was 14 and in 9th grade. First my mom had breast cancer, then was in remission, then got hit with ovarian cancer. Fought for 9+ years. I had NO idea she was really going to die because she had us so convinced everything would be okay. I barely remember anything from when she was alive. My memory either blocks it out or I just have a lousy memory. I miss her so much. I am so jealous of people that have their moms. When will they find a cure for this disease? I am terrified I am going to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i can imagine this is such a hard time of year for you. so sorry about your mom, but glad that you have such wonderful memories! that dmb quote is one of my all time favorites :) prayers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. thinking of you!! i hope that today was a better day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was such a touching post, it brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing!

    xoxo
    Petchie

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is very touching. I can't imagine losing my Mom at such a young age. I'm 23 and I worry about it every day (my Mom is a smoker!!). It makes me insane.

    Love the pictures, she is very beautiful. She also sounds like a wonderful mother and I'm glad you have those memories.

    And the DMB quote is great - my fave band :)

    ReplyDelete

If you visited and read my post, be kind, leave a line!

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.