21 January 2012

Picnik is Closing!


I opened my email this morning and got to read this:




Official Announcement: Picnik is closing


Since joining Google in 2010, we have been creating editing magic in Google products while continuing to keep Picnik awesome. But now we get to focus on even awesomer things. Picnik will be closing on April 19, 2012.
Your photos liberated
Amazing photos are created in Picnik, so we have launched a new feature, Picnik Takeout, that easily downloads your photos to your desktop in convenient zip files. You may also elect to copy your photos to Google+ where you can store and share your creations. You may request your photos at any time and use this handy tool as many times as you like until our closing date of April 19, 2012. Learn more.
Premium Refunds
To our primo Picnik Premium members, we'll begin processing a full refund of your current membership fee within a week of this announcement. By "in full" we mean the whole darn thing. Yep, this means even if you are on your very last day of an annual membership, we will refund you the entire $24.95. Just because we want to say thanks.
Now the Good News - Free Premium for ALL!
To express our gratitude for your support over the past 5 years, Picnik Premium is free for everyone! Use Picnik in all of its premium glory, for free, from now until our actual closing day. Touch-up, Textures, Advanced, and more are all free for you to use!
We have been incredibly proud of building a product that is used and beloved by so many of you. We continue to be amazed and humbled by the photos you create and we are immensely grateful for all of your support, creativity, and passion.
We are excited by the photo-editing fun we have already brought to Google products, like Google+, where you can find many of your favorite Picnik effects in Creative Kit. We encourage you to visit Google+ and give it a whirl.
Please visit the Help Hub for more information on our wind down, and check the Picnik blog for updated information on our April closure.
It's been awesome,
Team Picnik





There was also an annoucement on Picnik's homepage as well.



Thoughts on this?

Is blogger next to be taken over?










Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. Its cool that its free till closing, but that makes me sad, I use it constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BOO! I use this all the time. I'm a member but I didn't get an email?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost cried when I saw this! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so upset when I saw this!!! Picnik has been my go-to for everything, for blog-designing and picture editing! I don't know what I'm going to do without it! I'm upset I'm going to have to learn something new and also purchase something new! And I really hope Blogger isn't next! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh no, this isn't good! i have used picnik as an alternative to photoshop and still continue to do so. it really makes you think - the internet isn't a place for small websites any more. the giants dominate the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So crazy! I loved Picnik... used it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whaaat?! NO! I just started using this, and now it's going away! Is there anything else out there like it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sad about this! I use it all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO bummed it's closing!!!! :( Blogger better not be next!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This makes me so mad! I use Picnik for everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must say, I'm MAD about this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hate to say I have never used it...now I think I must have missed out on something wonderful! Hopefully something similar will take its place :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first thoughts when I got their email this morning were...Oh no, how am I going to edit my blog photos now?! I love all the Picnik features! Noooo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so sad when I saw this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot believe they are closing. They did offer great service..After purchasing a package I realized it wasn't what I wanted and they gave me a full reimbursement. Love you blog design btw! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so bummed when I opened this email. I was hoping that they were going to share an alternative or something else that they created just like it. I did so much design work on Picnik for my business. Now, I'm going to have to learn how to use photoshop. =-(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so bummed that they are closing especially since I just paid. Hope they will refund. And I hope that Blogger is not next! Google would be crazy to do anything w/ blogger!! Keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was SO bummed when I got the email. I love Picnik! I hope blogger isn't next.. surely not.... *I say with nervousness*

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's a way to force people into using Google+ .... sad to see it go.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got the email too! I haven't used Picnik in forever but change is always so weird. Hate to think that sites we currently use could disappear too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sad it is closing down. I use it all the time :(

    Angela | PoodlePoddles

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi C. Mae,

    Just wanted to give you a heads up - there's a definite Picnik alternative's swingin' your way soon, www.PicMonkey.com. It's from former Picnikers! We think it's going to be just as great...if not better...than your old fave!

    Sign up PicMonkey's site and we’ll keep you updated on a launch date. Also, feel free to send me your feedback, feature requests, and, of course, any questions you have!

    Happy blogging!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

If you visited and read my post, be kind, leave a line!

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.